Momma’s Atomic Salsa – Favorite for the Grown-Ups
This one is NOT for the kiddos! Mr. Determined and I were tired of the store bought salsa and decided to come up with our own. We were blessed with a friend of his at work who provided us with some from-the-garden ghost peppers to use. Here’s what we came up with and it’s delicious! It’s great on chips, but we’ve also been piling it on top of chicken quesadillas and it’s just what they needed. This is definitely on the hot side, so if you’re not big on spicy there are some alternatives listed under the main recipe.
- 1 medium white onion
- 2 cans of fire-roasted diced tomatoes (I like the Kroger brand ones), drained
- 1/3 tbsp garlic powder
- 3 medium jalapenos
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped; the smaller, the better!)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 habanero or ghost peppers
In a large pot, pour in the drained tomatoes and the tomato paste. Add in the garlic powder, vinegar, cilantro, cumin, and salt and mix well. The jalapenos, onion, and habaneros need to be diced small, so I prefer to cut them up and give them a run through the food processor. You can however do it by hand.Mix the peppers and onion in with your base in the pot and blend well. Put the pot on the stove at medium-high heat and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, stirring often.
Salsa can be jarred or stored in tupperware containers. I also put a few tablespoons in a Ziploc bag and cut the tip to draw nice lines of it on slices of quesadilla. I like to buy the very small tupperwares to prepare individual servings for Mr. Determined to take to work for lunch!
- If you would like a more mild version use only 2 jalapenos, 1/2 tsp of cumin, and no habanero. Substitute the missing peppers with a 1/4 cup of finely chopped green pepper.
- If you would like a thinner salsa, save some of the juices from the canned tomatoes and add them in as desired while it is simmering.
- If you would like a party dip, mix 1 cup of salsa with a melted block of Velveeta and stir in half a cup of spicy ground sausage.
Did you try it? Do you have your own tweaks you’ve made to it? Comment below and I’ll add it above. Bonus points for pictures!